Monday, January 25, 2010

MATTERS OF THE HEART

I am posting a series of incidents from my experience as a facilitator for children in the age group of 4 to 6 years old. Do check out all my classroom tales – Kings and Kingdom, The simple truth, Matters of the heart and What’s the hurry and hope it brings a smile to your face:)


How in the world would you explain a concept called trust to a 4 year old? Or for that matter a 40 year old? A word that has too many personal definitions, that is built on personal experiences and perceptions?

I proceed haltingly, my mind raking for examples appropriate to make my class of eager eyed listeners understand the concept.

“Suppose,” I began, “just suppose your mama who comes to pick you up at 1 o clock after class ends, promises to come, but does not turn up at the said time, would you trust her to come the next time around?”

“Yes!” Came the confident response from one wide eyed four year old.

“Well! What makes you so sure”…I ask somewhat taken aback by the unconditional yes.

“Ma’am, I know that she’ll come. My heart tells me that she will.”

Now, is that trust or what?

Vidya.S

No comments:

Post a Comment