Monday, January 25, 2010

WHAT’S THE HURRY?

Timez up!! I yelled like I usually do at the end of each session to my class of 4 year olds. My yell was accompanied by squeals of excitement and scrambling for bags and loud “Bye ma'am’s” amid hugging them all goodbye for the day. I began to quietly put away my stuff and turned around to see an adorable 4 year old who hadn’t budged from the classroom. This was surprising considering “time’s up” yell is one harried time with everyone rushing about before they could rush home. I am equally impatient to pack up and leave the class and head home and here was this girl, yashoo was her name, standing still and looking at me without a word.

What happened yashoo? I asked kneeling down to her level until we were eye to eye.

No response.

“C’mon speak up. You need something? Can I get it for you?” I asked wondering if she needed to answer the call of nature.

“Tell me what it is.”

“I want a hug from you” she lisped.

As she threw her arms around my neck and as she laid her soft cheek against mine, I thought my heart is going to burst into a million pieces with the gesture and I asked myself – what’s the hurry after all?

Vidya.S

No comments:

Post a Comment